Cairn and its parent FitClimb LLC ("Cairn" or the “Company”) offer a wilderness safety notification email service, mapping, GPS tracking, display of other outdoor content such as where you might find a cell signal, and community-based services to users of www.cairnme.com (the "Website") and/or users of Cairn's mobile application (the "Application") (collectively referred to as the “Services").This App is not directed to anyone younger than 13 and is offered only to users 13 years of age or older. Any person who provides their personal information through this Network represents that they are 13 years of age or older.
The Short Version
- Cairn will not share your personal info with those you don’t select. We only share your trip details/plans with the safety contacts you select.
- We only track you during an active cairn or when using the app. All tracking ceases when you check-in.
- We do use meta data in averages to report points in the wilderness where Cairn users had a cell signal. We don’t publish your personal info, name, or other identifiable features. If we ever do decide to we’ll make sure we get your permission.
- If you are overdue from a trip and have not checked in, we’ll email your safety contacts.
- Your safety contacts might share details with third parties. Especially if you're overdue and they contact search and rescue.
- Emails to your safety contacts will include contact emails in the 'to' field so that contacts are aware of who else is a safety contact. We do this as a measure of safety to save time coordinating if you are overdue and have not checked in.
The Long Version
The Services are not intended for use by persons under the age of 13.
If you believe that your privacy has been abused in the course of using the Services, then please contact Cairn at: email@example.com.
Information that is being collected & shared
Cairn is a free service for those venturing into the wilderness. We allow you to share details of your trip with contacts you select, track your location and other information, then notify contacts if you haven’t checked in. Through tracking your location and passing data to our server we ascertain cell phone reception and use this to display areas where users have found reception. Whenever you use the Services, Cairn will collect:-
- Location information on where you indicated you were going, the date/time you said you’d get back, and other messages you wish to pass on to your safety contacts.
- Your email address, your name, and email addresses of your safety contacts that you select.
- Your GPS location from periodic points on your trip while Cairn is active and device is on. We only track you during the time you have an active Cairn and stop once you’ve checked in.
- The amount of battery life on your device at certain times. We store and share this in the event you're overdue. Knowing this will aid others in finding and contacting you.
- Information about your cell signal at periodic GPS locations. Cairn helps you find spots in the wilderness that others have found coverage; we can only do this through community sharing.
- Performance Analytics data including crash reports.
Social Networks (future versions)
- If you’ve signed in/signed up to Cairn with your social media account we may access your profile photo and contacts for ease of use and to improve your experience. You can remove the social sign in by logging out and/or revoking access through the social network profile.
Emails we may send.
Cairn allows you to opt out of announcements and we don’t send spam. Here’s the type of communication you can expect from us:
- Announcements and notifications relating to your account and service.
- Notifications of trip details sent to your safety contacts.
- To contact you when Cairn thinks it’s necessary to resolve issues with your account, safety, or other.
Participating in any users' activities as a result, directly or indirectly, from using Cairn, is entirely at your own risk. Cairn is not a party to any agreement entered into between the users in any circumstances. The user has the sole and ultimate responsibility regarding his/her safety while using the app or in the wilderness. We do not accept any liability for any loss, damage, cost or expense that you may suffer or incur as a result of or in connection with your participation in any activity or event initiated, held or conducted by a user or a third party nor in connection to any agreement between the users or third parties, including any activity or event related in any way, directly or indirectly, the Services or the use thereof.
Sharing information with others
Cairn does not sell, rent or lease your personal information to third parties.
Cairn will not share your personal information with others, without your consent, except for the following purposes and to the extent necessary in Cairn's good-faith discretion:
- As necessary for the operation of the Services. For example: With search and rescue authorities in the event your safety contacts report you overdue, in regards to incidents you report and which are associated with your username and your location;
- If Cairn is required, or reasonably believes that it is required by law to share or disclose your information;
- In any case of dispute, or legal proceeding of any kind between you and Cairn, or between you and other users with respect to, or in relation with the Services;
Controlling your personal information
Although we hate to see you go, if you would like us to delete your account, your username (if you have set one up) and your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will comply.
On receiving such a request, Cairn will make reasonable efforts to delete such information, however please note we may not delete information immediately from our back-up systems.
How does Cairn use aggregated information?
Cairn may use anonymous, statistical or aggregated information (including location and coverage information), in a form that does not enable the identification of a specific user, to properly operate the Services, to improve the quality of the Services, to enhance your experience, to create new services and features, including customized services, to change or cancel existing content or service, and for further internal, commercial and statistical purposes.
Cairn may also use anonymous, statistical or aggregated information collected on the Services, in a form that does not enable the identification of a specific user, by posting, disseminating, transmitting or otherwise communicating or making available such information to users of the Services, to the Services' providers, partners and any other third party. For example, GPS information that we receive from your mobile device may be provided to map cell covrage in an aggregated and/ or anonymous form to help improve the service.
Cairn may permit, solicit or contract certain other companies to conduct advertising campaigns on the Services. The advertisements that you see when accessing the Services may be geographically or contextually targeted.
Cairn considers information security to be a top priority. Cairn implements systems, applications and procedures to secure your personal information, to minimize the risks of theft, damage, loss of information, or unauthorized access or use of information. However, these measures are unable to provide absolute assurance. Therefore, although Cairn takes great efforts to protect your personal information, Cairn cannot guarantee and you cannot reasonably expect that the Cairn's databases will be immune from any wrongdoings, malfunctions, unlawful interceptions or access, or other kinds of abuse and misuse. Including the NSA tapping our systems.